SC Issues Notice to Center and UIDAI Over Aadhaar Law
- On Friday, the SC asked the central govt to respond to the petition that challenges amendments to the Aadhaar law cleared by parliament in July this year.
- The petition was filed by a retired army officer and a rights activist and it argued that the amendments in the law create a backdoor to permit private parties to access the Aadhaar ecosystem.
- They said that this amendment allowed the state and the private parties to monitor the citizens.
Also Read: Uddhav Thackeray Meets Sharad Pawar to Discuss Govt Formation
- The petition states that the amendments to the Aadhaar law create a new system of “offline verification” that bypasses the UIDAI.
- The bench headed by CJI SA Bobde heard senior lawyer Shyam Divan before issuing a notice to UIDAI and the center.