State Govt wants hassle-free coal mining in Odisha
Also Read: Leadership crisis continues to haunt Odisha Congress
- With the State Government deciding to bring an end to lawlessness in coal zone and facilitate the expansion of coal mines, the State police sprang into action.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Union Minister of Coal Piyush Goyal were on same page over the issue and Union Secretary Coal Anil Kumar Jain and Chief Secretary Asit Tripathy tried sincerely to clear the impasse.
- For last five years, expansion of Hingula mines was stalled due to creation of unauthorised barriers by the people of Bhalugadia, who were encroaching the coal bearing areas under various alibis.
- While power plants were starving for coal, production and expansion of coal mines was not moving further.
- With such an impasse, industry and mining sector was facing huge losses and State exchequer was facing loss of revenue and royalty from coal.