Six communities want to be delisted from SC/ST list, in caste-sensitive TN
- State has witnessed violent agitations demanding reclassification of castes for acquiring benefits of communal reservations.
- Six communities have begun to build pressure on the Tamil Nadu government to delist them from the Scheduled Castes.
- Their demand is that they must be grouped under the common name of ‘Devendrakula Vellalar’ and removed from the Scheduled Castes list.
- In the past, leaders of intermediate caste groups had led agitations seeking to be removed from the Backward Classes list.
- Likewise, there is a demand from the fishing community to be recognised as Scheduled Tribes.
ALSO READ: Stalin’s challenge to Ramadoss over Panchami land