Narendra Modi-led Gujarat Govt Gets Nanavati Commission's Clean Chit in 2002 Riots Case
- The Nanavati Commission has given a clean chit to the then Gujarat CM Narendra Modi-led government in the 2002 riots in the state.
- On Wednesday, the commission's report was tabled in the Gujarat Assembly by Minister of State for Home, Pradeepsinh Jadeja.
- The panel said the post-Godhra riots that spread out in the state were "not a pre-planned conspiracy or orchestrated violence".
- The panel, comprising former Supreme Court Justice GT Nanavati and former Gujarat High Court Justice Akshay Mehta, in its report observed that police at some places were ineffective in controlling the mob.
- Let us tell you that over 1,000 people, mostly of the minority community, were killed in the riots.
ALSO READ: India is Moving From a Democracy to a Dictatorship: Derek O Brien