CJI Office Comes Under RTI Act: Constitution Bench of SC
- On Wednesday the SC announced that the CJI office is a public authority and falls within the ambit of the Right to Information Act.
- The decision was taken by a constitution bench of 5 judges which was headed bu Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi.
- The constitution bench upheld the 2010 Delhi HC verdict and dismissed 3 appeals filed by the secretary-general of the SC and the CPI officer of the apex court.
Also Read: 17 Rebel Karnataka MLAs Remain Disqualified: SC
- They also said that judicial independence has to be kept in the mind while dealing with transparency.
- Let us tell you that this move to bring the CJI office under the transparency law initiated by RTI activist SC Agarwal.