“NRL is a symbol of Assamese pride which can't be privatised"
Also read: असम की BJP सरकार की नीति पर बोले बदरुद्दीन, ज्यादा बच्चे पैदा करें मुसलमान
- The Assam Congress is protesting against the privatisation of the Numaligarh Refinery Ltd (NRL) at Numaligarh Tiniali, which is 12 km away from the NRL.
- Illustrating the reasons for the protest, former CM Tarun Gogoi said, “NRL is a symbol of Assamese pride and sentiment. The state government is trying to sell NRL, which we strongly oppose. We will not let NRL to go to any private sector, even if we have to give our blood for that.”
- Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) president Ripun Bora, leader of the opposition Debabrata Saikia, former minister Rakibul Hussain and MPs Pradyut Bordoloi and Gaurav Gogoi, were also present for the demonstration.
- Nagaon MP Bordoloi also criticized this act of the PM Modi-led government of selling NRL. He suggested to increase the share of the state govt. in NRL by purchasing the stake owned by BPCL.
- At present, BPCL has a share of 61.65% in NRL while the Assam govt. has only 12.35 stake.