Andhra govt defends move to empower secretaries to sue media outlets
- Previously, the AP government had empowered departmental secretaries to take legal action against media outlets and sue them for defamation.
- "The state government believes that there is an imperative need for the flow of news in an accurate manner without any distortion, slant or prejudice," the statement said.
- The state cabinet accepted the proposal presented by the Information & Public Relations (I&PR) Minister to file cases under the law in case of 'baseless' media reports.
- "The Cabinet decision that was taken on October 16 was decentralisation of power and delegating the same powers to secretaries" it added.
- The CMO said that the Cabinet decision was "an extension of the existing practice by roping in the concerned Secretaries instead of the Commissioner of I&PR alone."
ALSO READ: AP Transport Department cracks down on ex-TDP MP’s travel company Diwakar Travels