China picked Mamallapuram as summit venue looking its historical importance
- It was China that picked Mamallapuram as the venue for the second informal Modi-Xi Jinping summit and India agreed instantly.
- Vice foreign minister Luo Zhaohui picked Mamallapuram.
- Zhaohui, a student of Chinese scholar Xu Fancheng in Auroville for several years, was well aware of the historical importance of Mamallapuram and its ancient links to China.
- The 8th century security pact between the then Pallava king and Chinese emperor holds historic importance which made China to choose this town.
- On the other hand, choosing a Tamil Nadu venue for the summit fits perfectly within BJP’s framework, admitted party national general secretary P Muralidhar Rao.
Also Read: Modi-Xi Jinping meet: Mahabalipuram monuments closed to tourists