MP decides not to hold direct mayoral elections
- The state government decided to restore the old system of indirect elections of mayors of municipal corporations.
- Presently, the mayors and presidents are elected directly by voters in respective areas.
- Under the new system, councillor will elect the mayor and the president.
- BJP alleged that the ruling party was scared of defeat in ensuing elections. That's why it is taking such undemocratic decisions.
- In reply the Congress stated that there were flaws in the old election system.
Also Read: MP Govt agrees on interest-free loans for students