Congress accuses BJP of delaying rehabilitation measures to flood-affected areas
Also Read: Kannada organisations urges PM to take steps for flood relief
- Members of the Congress accused the government of dragging its feet on providing compensation to the victims of flood related areas.
- The panchayat members of the Congress said that assurances given by chief minister BS Yediyurappa while touring the flood-affecting regions of the state had remained on paper, while the victims continue to suffer, waiting for their due.
- In the 17th general meeting of the Dakshina Kannada zilla panchayat, MS Mohammad and Prakash Shetty alleged that flood victims in their respective constituencies were yet to receive the sum of Rs 10,000, the basic compensation promised by Yediyurappa when he visited Belthangady.
- Former Zilla Parishad president and Congress member Mamatha Gatti suggested that the government could transfer the Rs 5 lakh promised to those who had completely lost their homes directly to the victims’ bank accounts.
- Meanwhile, another Zilla Parishad member Shahul Hameed urged the panchayat president Meenakshi Shantigodu to adopt a resolution declaring the flood a national disaster, which would help the local administration seek more funds for rehabilitation.