Congress leader urges CM to take hard steps over the harassment of people of Assam
Also Read: Assam NRC 2019: List of individuals published online
- Senior Assam Congress leader Debabrata Saikia has urged Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal to take some prominent steps regarding the harassment of people of Assam after the post publication of National Register of Citizens (NRC).
- Quoting news report, Saikia said people from Assam are being harassed in the form of seeking identity cards and documentary evidences of inclusion of their names in the NRC .
- He further stated that maximum number of cases of harassement are happening in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram.
- Saikia revealed that certain students’ organizations of these northeastern States are involved in harassing visitors from Assam.
- Explaining Home Ministry statements he told that the Union Home Ministry has gone on record to assert that non-inclusion in the final NRC by itself does not brand a person as a foreigner.