Andhra govt to drop cases against those booked for demanding special status
The News Mintue
- On Friday, Andhra government issued orders for the withdrawal of all cases registered against those who agitated for SC Status for the state and were booked for the same.
- The order, issued by the Home Department, was to instruct all concerned public prosecutors and assistant public prosecutors to drop the charges.
ALSO READ: The economic slowdown seems to be in store for Andhra Pradesh
- SCS is financial aid given to states that fit into specific criteria, The demand was a long pending one.
- All the parties have repeatedly demanded Special Category Status to Andhra Pradesh since 2014.
- Several day-long shutdowns have been called in Andhra Pradesh over the past five years, to protest the Centre's reluctance in granting SCS.