Tamil Nadu Congress MP arrested with 300 party workers for protesting against potholed national highway
Ahead of local body polls, TN election commission sect transferred: DMK condemns the move
- Congress MP from Kanniyakumari, H Vasanthakumar, was arrested along with Tamil Nadu MLA JG Prince and over 300 party supporters for staging a road blockade at Nagercoil in protest against the potholed national highway on Saturday.
- The protest led by Vasanthakumar, his first after Lok Sabha polls, also marked participation of all Kanniyakumari MLAs, in a welcome break from the routine factional feuds in the district unit.
- The national highway from Kalaiyakavilai to Kavalkinaru and Kanniyakumari is in a bad shape, posing inconvenience and threat to commuters.
- Congress had planned protests at two spots, at Nagercoil in front of the District Collectorate and at Kaliyakavilai, to press for the repair of the national highway.
- Before their arrest, the protestors led by Vasanthakumar and JG Prince squatted on the road disrupting traffic after they were prevented by the police from marching to the Nagercoil collectorate.