Manipur rebel leader Rajkumar Meghen set free from Guwahati jail
- Rajkumar Meghen alias Sanayaima, the chief of Manipur-based extremist group, United National Liberation Front (UNLF), was reportedly released from Guwahati Central Jail on Saturday, a day ahead of his scheduled release, keeping a low profile to avoid any media attention.
- “Meghen was set free since he completed the sentence that was awarded to him on conviction,” Ranjit Baishya, the jail’s superintendent, told media persons.
- As per the reports, Meghen, who was in prison for last 10 years for ‘waging war against the state’ in Guwahati jail, is expected to arrive in his home state, Manipur, on Monday where he will get a grand reception at the Tiddim Ground in Imphal.
- However, there is no official report of his scheduled arrival in the state at the time of filing this report.
- The release of the UNLF chairman comes when the Centre is putting efforts to bring a final solution to the protracted seven-decades old Naga political issues.