More Muslims got govt scholarships under Modi govt than during Congress-led UPA-2
- As many as 20 lakh more minority students received education scholarships under the Modi government’s first term than during the tenure of the second Congress-led UPA administration.
- While 3.14 crore minority students secured government scholarships between 2014 and 2019, wheras 2.94 crore students got scholarship under Manmohan Singh government.
- The central government spent Rs 8,715.4 crore on education scholarships between 2014 and 2019, against Rs 5,360.4 crore from 2009-2014.
Also read: Poll din ends in Jalalabad, jobs major issue for voters
- Students from Classes 1 to 10 who have secured at least 50 per cent in the previous final examination and whose parents’ annual income does not exceed Rs 1 lakh are eligible for the pre-matric scheme.
- Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said, 'We made the entire scholarship application process 100% online, which made the process easier and ensured that the leakages end.'