Huzurnagar by-election: Test for BJP’s claim as main Opposition in Telangana
Also read: Leaders are switching loyalty to ruling TRS: Jagdish Reddy
- The upcoming 21 October by-election for the Huzurnagar assembly seat in Telangana will be a test for the Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) claim as the main opposition in the state.
- The saffron party has been staking claim as Opposition against the ruling Telangana Rashtra Samithi post the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, during which it managed to win four out of the 17 seats.
- The BJP’s tally during the general elections was one more than the Congress, which is still considered to be the main opposition.
- While the main contest in the by-election is between the TRS and Congress, if the BJP manages to gain a deposit (or 20% of the vote share, what it got overall in the state during the 2019 Lok Sabha polls).
- In the 2018 state polls, the BJP candidate managed to secure just 1,500 votes in the Huzurnagar seat, and managed to win in just assembly segment (getting about 7% of the total vote share).