Tamil Nadu CM K Palaniswami conferred doctorate by varsity
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami was conferred a honorary doctorate by a deemed university on October 20.
- Palaniswami was conferred the "Degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa)," at the 28th convocation of the Dr MGR Educational and Research Institute.
- This is the first honorary doctorate received by Palaniswami, who became chief minister in 2017.
- Late chief ministers M G Ramachandran, J Jayalalithaa and M Karunanidhi had been conferred multiple honorary doctorates by various universities.
ALSO READ: Six communities want to be delisted from SC/ST list, in caste-sensitive TN
- University founder chancellor, A C Shanmugam, a former MP and an MLA, said this was the first time the varsity conferred a honorary doctorate on a Chief Minister.