Hajela must go only after accounting for NRC expenditure: Assam BJP
Also Read: Election Commission of India restricts exit poll during by-elections
- The Assam unit of the BJP has asked the Sarbananda Sonowal government to let civil servant Prateek Hajela go to his home State Madhya Pradesh.
- The Supreme Court on October 18 ordered the inter-cadre transfer of Mr. Hajela, State NRC Coordinator, on deputation for the maximum period permissible under the rules.
- It is believed the bureaucrat was under pressure from the BJP and certain organisations for “failing” to provide an error-free NRC.
- The apex court had ordered the State government to provide him with adequate security before the publication of the complete NRC draft in July 2018.
- “The government must not release Mr. Hajela unless and until he gives a statement of account on the ₹1,600-crore spent on the NRC updating exercise.