Special Marriage Act to be applicable to Sikkim
By TOI 15-Oct-2019
- President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the extension of the Special Marriage Act, 1954, under which inter-religion weddings can be registered, to Sikkim.
- Punitive provisions for the violation of the Act will also come into force in the Northeastern state with the publication of a notification by the Union home ministry.
- In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (n) of Article 371F of the Constitution, the President hereby extends the Special Marriage Act, 1954 (43 of 1954) to the State of Sikkim.
- If those marrying under the Act have a living spouse, shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.
- Anyone marrying under the Act if tries to conceal a former marriage from the person with whom subsequent marriage is contracted shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to 10 years, and shall also be liable to fine.
Also Read: BJP-SKM alliance will win all 3 seats in bypolls: Sikkim BJP chief
महाराष्ट्र में अगर शिवसेना, एनसीपी और कांग्रेस के गठबंधन की सरकार बनती है तो क्या उसका हाल भी कर्नाटक जैसा होगा ?
Suffering From Problem In Your Area ? Now Its Time To Raise Your Voice And Make Everyone Know