Odisha government sanctions Rs 40 crore for land acquisition around Jagannath Temple
Also Read: Odisha Cong starts Prerak selection
- The Odisha government has sanctioned Rs 40 crore for land acquisition in connection with the development of a 'Heritage Security Zone' around the Jagannath Temple in Puri.
- Joint Secretary to the state government Bimalendu Ray wrote a letter to the Chief Engineer, DPI (Design, Planning and Investigation) and Roads, Nirman Soudha in Bhubaneswar in this regard.
- "...I am directed to inform you that you are permitted to place a lump sum fund to the tune of Rs 40 crore available in Land Acquisition Head of Account for the purpose of land acquisition/direct purchases and R&R packages in respect of the aforesaid works and other related projects in Puri," said the letter dated September 30.
- The heritage library was established in 1921 by the then Mahant of the age-old Emar Mutt. The library has rare palm-leaf manuscripts and books on various subjects in Sanskrit, Odia and Bengali.
- Under the housing project, 600 houses will be constructed for the displaced within 1.5 kilometres radius of the temple.