Rs 15 for vada pav, Rs 15,000 for chariot: Election Commission fixes spend on nominee rallies
Also Read: CM Devendra Fadnavis participates in Swachhta Abhiyan on occasion of Gandhi Jayanti
- To check under-declaration of campaign spending by candidates, the Maharashtra State Election Commission has fixed the rates of items that nominees tend to under-report to show they haven't breached the poll expenditure limit.
- As the assembly election nominees file their nomination papers on Thursday and Friday, they are sure to embark on roadshows with their supporters, as they are wont to do.
- For such rallies, as per the panel's directive, no more than Rs 15,000 will be considered for the use of chariot, Rs 3,000 for the music band, Rs 15 each for vada-pav and tea, Rs 85 for a vegetarian rice plate and Rs 150 for a non-vegetarian plate.
- The panel will also set the rate for water bottles.
- These expenses, incurred during the celebrations accompanying the filing of nomination papers, will be added to the candidates' aggregate poll expense, which is capped at Rs 28 lakh.