Akalis in wait-and-watch mode, yet to pitch in for ally
Also Read: ‘Ex-judge’s plaint maintainable’
- With the bypoll to four Assembly constituencies in Punjab just three weeks away, the strained relations between the SAD-BJP owing to their split in Haryana can have an impact on the result of at least two seats here.
- While the BJP candidates are contesting on two seats of Doaba – Phagwara and Mukerian, the other two of Dakha and Jalalabad fall in the SAD kitty.
- While the Akali Dal’s indifference may not matter much to the BJP as it does not have much base in Mukerian, it surely will dent the party on Phagwara seat, which has a large Sikh population in 91 villages falling in its periphery.
- Likewise, if Dakha remains unaffected due to no involvement of the BJP, the SAD surely needs its support in Jalalabad.
- To date, the Akali leaders of Doaba have been sitting back and are not participating in any campaign of the BJP for the two seats in the area.