Over 26,000 posts lie vacant in police force, State govt to Gujarat High Court
Also Read : Gujarat High Court rejects Sanjiv Bhatt’s plea for suspension of sentence
- The state government informed the Gujarat High Court that as of July 31, there are 26,147 vacancies for police personnel in the state, against a sanctioned strength of 1.08 lakh.
- The government also clarified that the recruitment process was initiated for 9,719 vacancies in 2018-19, which is likely to bring down the vacancies to 16,428.
- The highest number of vacancies -- 8,106 and 8,019 -- are there in the categories of unarmed and armed constables, respectively.
- Similarly, 465 posts are empty for unarmed inspectors, 675 for unarmed sub-inspectors, 1,182 for unarmed assistant sub-inspectors, 2,135 for unarmed head constables, and 435 for armed assistant sub-inspectors.
- In addition to these, there are 4,784 vacancies under various categories in State Reserve Police.