Cong brainstorms on nominees
- The state unit of the Congress has zeroed in on probable candidates for the forthcoming by polls to the four Assembly seats — Jalalabad, Phagwara, Dakha and Mukerian.
Also read: Capt wants Centre to come up with policy to fight drugs
- Instead of forming a panel of candidates for each seat, the party is likely to forward single names to the central leadership for approval.
- After a feedback from the MLA, MPs and other leaders, the names would be forwarded to AICC general secretary and Punjab affairs incharge Asha Kumari, PPCC chief Sunil Jakhar said.
- As Jakhar has categorically denied contesting the polls from Dakha, other front runners for the seat are Capt Sandeep Sandhu, political secretary to the CM, Major Singh Bhaini and Jassi Khangura.
- Jalalabad segment, Ravinder Amla’s name is under consideration, besides that of Sher Singh Ghubaya, who lost from the Ferozepur Lok Sabha seat recently, while former minister Hans Raj Joshan, Mohan Singh Phalianwala and Anish Sidana are the other contenders.