Congress wants judicial probe into Darrang incident
- Former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi has sought a judicial probe into the alleged stripping and torture of three women inside a police outpost in Assam.
- Gogoi on Thursday slammed the BJP led government in Assam and said that the government has only avoided its responsibility by suspending the officer.
- The women, three sisters, were picked up and tortured by Burha police outpost SI Mahendra Sharma on September 6 after their brother allegedly eloped with a Hindu girl.
- Following media outrage, SI Sharma and woman constable Binita Boro were on September 11 suspended.
- National Human Rights Commission, (NHRC) India has already taken suo motu cognizance of reports of the case.
Also Read: Congress in Assam: Party at risk of being shellacked again if it fails to navigate host of external challenges