Ahead of Maharashtra assembly polls, Vanjari community launches stir for quota hike
By Dna 20-Sep-2019
- In what may churn the state's political waters before the state assembly polls due next month, the powerful Vanjari community has launched a state-wide protest demanding a hike in their quotas.
- An action committee, which has organised a series of morchas across Maharashtra, has sought welfare measures for sections like sugarcane cutters and unemployed youth from the community, failing which they would take a stance against the ruling party.
- At present, Vanjaris, who account for significant numbers in areas like Marathwada, Vidarbha, parts of western Maharashtra and north Maharashtra, have 2% quotas and are included in the nomadic tribes (NT-D) category.
- The VJNT (Vimukta Jatis and Nomadic Tribes) category, which was carved out of the other backward classes (OBC), with ring-fenced reservations for groups like vimukta jatis, which are de-notified communities, and the nomadic tribes, have 11% quotas across categories like VJ, NT-B, C and D.
- The VJNT categories also include sections like Kaikadis, Dhangars and Lohars. However, this demand for merging quota categories has been opposed by other groups.
ट्रैफिक रूल्स में हुए नए बदलाव जनता के लिए !
Suffering From Problem In Your Area ? Now Its Time To Raise Your Voice And Make Everyone Know