Strike in Sankarankovil demanding creation of new district
- A one-day bandh was observed in Sankarankovil town and surrounding areas in Tirunelveli district for the creation of Sankarankovil district.
- More than 25 associations, trade bodies and various political parties including former minister in the DMK cabinet S Thangavelu jointly called the bandh.
- They strongly opposed the inclusion of Sankarankovil in Tenkasi district that is to be carved out of Tirunelveli district.
- One of the main organisers of the Sankarankovil Mavattam Korikai Iyakkam (Sankarankovil District Request Movement) P Marimuthu said that they wanted Sankarankovil district to be formed with four taluks – Sankarankovil, Thiruvengadam, V K Pudur and Sivagiri – instead of making them part of Tenkasi district.
- Tenkasi was announced as a new district by Tamil Nadu chief minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on July 18.
Also Read: Tamil Nadu CM Palaniswami backs for the renovation of Kaveri