BS Yediyurappa promises separate Secretariat for Kalyana Karnataka
- Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa has promised a separate Secretariat for Kalyana Karnataka region.
- He promised to increase the amount of special grants to Hyderabad Karnataka Regional Development Board (HKRDB).
- The region was part of the princely State of Hyderabad ruled by its Nizam in British India. It remained under Nizam rule even after Independence on August 15, 1947, as Mir Osman Ali Khan Bahadur, the last monarch of Hyderabad, refused to annex his kingdom to the Indian Union.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Minister of Home Affairs in the Jawaharlal Nehru Cabinet, is widely credited for the annexation of Hyderabad.
- After the renaming of the region as Kalyana Karnataka, the government issued a circular to celebrate it as Kalyana Karnataka Utsava Dinacharane.
Also Read: Yediyurappa breaks his silence on Amit Shah's 'one nation, one language' proposal