Goa will soon be declared organic state
ALSO READ CM announces plan to build Vithalapur to Sanquelim bridge
- Goa will soon be declared as an organic state under a central government scheme, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant announced on Monday while urging the dairy farmers to opt for vermicompost production.
- The Chief Minister made the announcement while addressing a farmers’ meet programme in Ponda organised by Goa Dairy to felicitate its farmers under National Programme on Dairy Development (NPDD).
- The state government has already started work on organic farming in 500 clusters in the first phase under central government scheme.
- In the second phase, the entire state will be declared as an organic state in a few days’ time wherein use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides for farming will be banned completely in the state, Sawant said.
- Speaking further, the Chief Minister said that despite there being a good market for vermicompost and green fodder in the state, hardly ten per cent of the farmers produce the same.