Will Not Implement New Traffic Rules: Mamata Banerjee
- On Wednesday, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee said that she will not implement the new law that imposes hefty fines for traffic violations.
- Mamata Banerjee called the new Motor Vehicles Act "too harsh" and said that it was against the federal structure of the government.
- TMC Chief said, "We had opposed amendments in Parliament. If we implement the Motor Vehicles Act amendments, it will hurt general people."
- She further said that the problem needs to be looked at from the "humanitarian point of view".
- The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill cleared Parliament in July and came into effect on September 1.