Month after NRC final list, Assam groups want 1951 as cut-off date not 1971
By Hindustan Times 02-Oct-2019
- Publication of the final list of National Register of Citizens (NRC) was expected to end the decades-old issue of illegal immigrants in Assam.
- But now several indigenous groups, want the NRC to have 1951 as the cut-off date to detect foreigners instead March 24, 1971.
- Six years ago, the Supreme Court had ordered updating of the NRC, prepared in 1951 only for Assam, based on a petition by APW.
- Over the past three decades, several organizations in Assam have been opposing the difference in 20 years between the cut-off date for Assam.
- Incidentally, a petition by Assam Sanmilita Mahasangha (ASM), seeking 1951 as the cut-off date for updating NRC is pending in Supreme Court since 2014.
Also Read: Assam’s foreigner tribunals to have 1,600 on contract
ट्रैफिक रूल्स में हुए नए बदलाव जनता के लिए !
Suffering From Problem In Your Area ? Now Its Time To Raise Your Voice And Make Everyone Know