Kejriwal’s odd-even plan will not work
- Arvind Kejriwal announced a third spell of the odd-even scheme for 10 days in November.
- Kejriwal claimed that earlier spells of odd-even saw a 10-13% reduction in pollution.
- American studies are not definitive. Several others, done by Indians, come to different conclusions. At least one says pollution increased during the odd-even period. Another points to a similar finding.
- The contribution of cars is only 10%. If half of them are disallowed on any day, that should ideally reduce to 5%.
- According to studies, the odd-even policy doesn’t work — actually makes the problem worse — or the improvement is so marginal it’s not worth the cost and inconvenience.
Also read- Bapu's Dream Getting Fulfilled in Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal