CM to Odisha: Halt Mangu Mutt razing
Congress asks Jakhar to continue as PPCC chief
- Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh on Saturday wrote to his Odisha counterpart Naveen Patnaik, urging the latter to retract his government’s decision to demolish Mangu Mutt associated with Guru Nanak Dev.
- Captain Amarinder termed as unfortunate the move to demolish the Mutt, which had age-old significance for the Sikh community, as Guru Nanak Dev had visited the holy temple to spread his universal message of the oneness of God.
- It was shocking that while the world was getting ready to commemorate the 550th Gurpurb, the historically important Mutt was sought to be demolished by the Odisha Government, he said.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar wrote, “We have alerted our Embassy @IndiainItaly to extend all help.”
- Capt Amarinder on Saturday, in a tweet, urged the MEA to provide help in bringing back the bodies of four Sikh men drowned in a sewage tank in Italy.